Introduction to Mirrorless Photography

Share it with your friends Like

What is mirrorless imaging? With the flood of new mirrorless cameras entering market and in anticipation of Photokina next week in Cologne, Germany (and all the new cameras, lenses and gear that will be unveiled there), we felt it would be a good idea to post this video from Will Crockett, GeekBeat’s photo tech specialist, to show you what mirrorless digital photography can do for you.

Will is one of our favorite photo experts. We love his no-nonsense reviews and his obvious passion for photography and video production that comes through in each and every video he makes (which is why we gladly post so much of Will’s stuff, and highly recommend Will’s websites, such as DiscoverMirrorless.com and PicturingHD.com). Will (along with a growing number of other pros) also believes that a paradigm shift is about to occur in the world of photography… a move away from big, bulky DSLR systems and into smaller, less costly but still highly sophisticated mirrorless systems that can shoot both high quality photos AND HD videos . We at mirrorless central happen to share that belief, and that’s why we created this website – so that you can stay up to date with all the latest cameras, lenses, gear, technology, information and updates from this exciting new frontier in photography and videography… or as Will calls it – Hybrid Imaging.

Comments

PhuNguyen88 says:

it would be even funnier if you turn right then talk, turn left then talk, turn in the back and talk lolll

TheTruePetrolhead says:

Really looking forward to your videos.If there is mirrorless camera from Canon,pls introduce that too.thanks.

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi, Blend? I don’t understand. Please ‘splaine?
: )

shootsmarterdude says:

Right on. The internal processors in mirrorless systems boggle my brain. I can shoot broadcast TV quality 1080p video, at 60 frames per second, with in-camera color processing on every one of those frames to make it look like some sort of cross processed color shifted dream, in realtime, in a $600 camera. There’s a brand new $3000 Nikon D800 in our family here. It can’t do that.

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi, good question. There’s actually a lot of things that mirrorless brings to the table. Their image quality and functionality in both photo AND video is equal to or in fact better than DSLR. Because of the design (without a mirror) they work in low light (low noise, accurate autofocus, accurate auto white balance) better than anything which allows you to make images that were impossible before. I can shoot nightscapes with no flash and no tripod. That’s big. All for low $ in a small size.

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi, thanks for the kind words. No offense taken my friend. I have lots to learn too!

shootsmarterdude says:

There’s one more reason that pros tend to “need” an EVF too: the creative process is sometimes made easier. When I shoot a B&W portrait for instance, I want my vision to be reduced to see only the subject thru the finder, and in B&W. If I were to use the display screen for this, my peripheral vision would be in color of course causing conflict. I find it’s lots easier for me to use mirrorless for B&W portraits because the EVF shows me to tonality instead of the optical color image of a DSLR.

shootsmarterdude says:

Howdy! You are SO right. Early EVF’s we’re really tough to get used to. The poor quality and uncomfortable operating angle (you had to look exactly straight thru them) made me frustrated to use. Some shooters prefer an EVF over the display in bright light / direct sun of course, but also in low indoor light when the display is glaringly bright. At a graduation ceremony for instance, people seated behind me find the bright screen very distracting.

Glasgowb9643 says:

Will u it explained that well. Thanks for sharing

allopatricape says:

Thanks Will. I didn’t know about the existence of E/OVF.  The problem with early EVFs was that they were only useful in broad daylight, and even then were pretty grainy. Hence my interest in the current generation of the technology. I’m also interested in what a pro has to say about EVF versus using the rear LCD. I don’t understand why you’d want the EVF if you could have the bigger screen with the same readout.

00tonii00 says:

Nice cameras, but, will it blend?

NonToxicSocialMedia says:

No offense intended you are clearly very knowledgeable on this subject…

Chris Holt says:

Tgardone: true but the current crop of mirror less cameras do it with much larger sensors and more processing power than cell phones or even high end point and shoot cameras.

AZM55555 says:

Photography is one of my favorite hobbies & I really wish to improve it…
I am really looking forward to learn more & more…
Thanks a lot.

tgardone says:

It let’s you see the picture on a screen and pick how you want it to look? Isn’t this what every digital camera in the world does? I don’t really understand what is so new and exciting about it.

shootsmarterdude says:

Right on Ryan. We have my “Real Life” review coming thru GeekBeat on the NEX 7 soon. The NEX 5N and NEX 7’s are terrific choices for mirrorless. Thanks!

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi, this is exactly what we will be doing in upcoming videos. This was just an intro to let the GeekBeat audience know who I am, and to expect more info about the migration to mirrorless. Great question about EVF’s BTW. One of the next few videos scheduled to appear here is one on the Lumix GX1 that has an optional slide-in EVF that totally rocks. Speaking of EVF’s, look into the new “hybrid” OVF / EVF on the Fuji X Pro 1. WOW! I’ll have a review on that camera in a few months. Thanks! WC

shootsmarterdude says:

Howdy, I completely understand what you are saying. In upcoming videos, I’ll show you what I see that makes mirrorless so different than other recording devices. It’s changed what and how I shoot much more than I thought – so I am sharing it with you thru GeekBeat. I actually shoot for fun on the weekends again, I thought I lost that.
Thanks!
WC

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi Charles, Sorry for the movement in the videos. I get charged up about this stuff. My live seminars are even MORE wiggly! : )
We switched from the Panasonic HVX video cameras to the Lumix GH2 cameras about a year ago and could not be happier. This was one of the moves we made that showed me that Mirrorless systems are to be taken serious. Please let me know if you would like more info on the video production we do using mirrorless? Glad to share.
WC

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi AMZ, thanks for the kind words. We have my kinda unusual take on camera reviews coming up next. I am a real working pro, but I don’t care about tech stats from camera data sheets. I care about what those technologies can do to make a better picture in real life conditions. So my conclusions on the Lumix GX1, GH2, Sony NEX7, Olympus EP3 and others are very different than most. Stay tuned, and thank you!
WC

shootsmarterdude says:

Thanks Poma, I hear you on the angle swtiching, and thanks for the input. We come from a long background of educating pro photographers and they want to see all the pieces in that room – from all angles – and tell us to use MORE angles. We’ll figure it out my friend, please know your comments do reach me and I want to make these videos better every day. Much appreciated!
W

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi Nix, Glad you are watching. I’m deep into the Lumix cameras and use them a lot. We will tech it up now that the intro is posted, and I apologize if my presentation style feels patronizing.  It’s not meant to be. Thanks for the feedback.
W

shootsmarterdude says:

Hi, thanks for the input. My speaking style is a little “unique” for sure. I’m used to discussions with pro photographers that are not as fluent in tech-talk as the GeekBeat audience. I’ll work on my delivery. I’m really glad to be here.

gadgetgal38 says:

Thanks so much for sharing I really enjoyed it!

nixc says:

As an ex-owner of the Panasonic GF1 and current owner of the G3 user I’ll be intrigued to see these up coming vids. Watch out for that interlacing, somebody put the wrong mode on your camera.I do hope you can tech it up a bit and drop the patronising tone. This is GEEKbeat not KIDbeat!

ndpratas says:

I know this is not like I’m about to say BUT the way he talks seams that he missed out the part where all of our regular cameras and cell phones do this for years now…

ShalkaDoctor says:

I for one am looking forward to these reviews.

CharlesHenrySanson says:

Jumping back and forth made me want to reach in the video to hold you still. Very nice look though, I wish you guys would list the camera you use to do your videos

AZM55555 says:

This is awesome.. I’m really excited about what’s next 🙂

frixto says:

Really good stuff!

NonToxicSocialMedia says:

Interesting and Informative, your presentation style reminds me of how Mr. Rogers talks to 5 year olds tho…. Slightly disconcerting…

pomabajwa1 says:

Looking forward to it! Please just dont change camera angles so much, its kinda annoying.

edensage says:

Nice! Looking forward to your insights 🙂

allopatricape says:

Top marks for presentation style, but the content was minimal to nonexistent. You could have gone into a more detailed comparison of functions between models, or what new possibilities are opened up by the mirrorless design. What are the pros/cons of an EVF, for instance? Why would some cameras have both EVF AND rear LCD? All in all, too basic.

iamnottomgreen says:

Boring.

ryan1the8grate says:

I recently got a Sony NEX 5n, and love it! Of course it’s not perfect, but its getting pretty close.

tidalwave154 says:

First comment

Comments are disabled for this post.