Over the last few weeks there have been numerous rumors and leaks (including pictures) regarding Olympus’ new flagship PEN series micro 4/3 camera the E-P5. After all the teasing, Olympus have finally made it official, and the new camera should be shipping soon.
On the outside, the PEN E-P5’s retro styling is inspired by Olympus’ 50 year old classic PEN F SLR camera, but on the inside, the camera boasts in impressive array of specs and inherits the impeccable 16mp sensor and image processor from the highly celebrated OM-D E-M5. Other tech borrowed from the OM-D include the breakthrough 5 point IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) system that delivers rock solid stability in both photo and video, and blazing fast autofocus.
The E-P5 offers a lot more to be impressed about as well…
- Max shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second (a world’s first for compact system cameras) which Olympus claim will allow photographers to capture fast-moving subjects (e.g. flying insects) or to shoot with large apertures in bright environments (i.e. for shallow depth of field shots even during the day)
- A speedy in startup time of 0.5 seconds
- 9fps continuous shooting
- Shot-to-shot time of just 0.044 seconds
- A new Focus Peaking system
- A new Dial Control system that allows users to determine the function of the dials on the front and back of the camera
- A 3-inch 1.04-million-dot tilting touchscreen that swings upwards at 80 degrees or downwards at 50 degrees
- WiFi connectivity that can be used with Olympus Image Share 2.0 app to pair your camera with your mobile device. Once paired, your device can be used as an external display, remote, or GPS unit for your camera
- A built-in collage maker called Photo Story
- 1080/30p HD video recording
- Time-lapse video mode
- 12 creative Art Filters
The Olympus PEN E-P5 comes in black, silver and white and sells for $999 USD (Body Only), or you can get it in black or silver for $1,449 USD with the 17mm f/1.8 lens (which is excellent) and optional VF-4 Viewfinder.
Buy the Olympus PEN E-P5 with 17mm f1.8 lens and VF-4 Viewfinder or Olympus PEN E-P5 (Body Only) on Amazon Here