When creating Hybrid Photography Products, one of the most important, and unfortunately, overlooked components of shooting video, is capturing high quality audio. TASCAM is a company that makes some great and affordable portable audio recording devices, and here’s an overview of 3 of TASCAM’s best Portable Audio Recorders – the DR-07 mkII, the DR-40 (showcased in the video above) and the DR-100 mkII.
- Adjustable Stereo Condenser Microphones (XY or AB)
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV (BWF) linear PCM recording. Stereo MP3 recording from 32-320 kbps bit rate. Reverb effect. Overdub recording mode
- Auto Record and Auto Mark functions. Peak Reduction function, optimized for music recording, automatically sets the gain of while recording. Limiter and low-cut filter to help prevent distortion
- Variable speed playback (50%-150%) without changing the pitch. Loop and repeat playback. Level Align feature prevents uneven volume levels during playback
- Playback EQ setting. Editing function (Divide and delete). Chromatic tuner 1/8 Inches stereo mic/line input. Powered by 2 AA batteries, AC adapter (optional: PS-P515U), or USB bus power. MicroSD 2GB card included
- Ideal for recording interviews, lectures, music practice sessions, and much more
- XLR / TRS balanced MIC/LINE inputs with phantom power and +4dbu line level input.
- Switchable microphone position from X-Y to A-B
- 4-track recording – record the built-in microphones and mic inputs at the same time
- Dual recording captures a safety track to prevent distorted takes
- Up to 96Hz/24-bit resolution
- Ideal for Hybrid Photography and Video
- Locking XLR inputs accept balanced mic or line inputs
- Two sets of microphones for cardioid or omnidirectional pickup
- Dual battery systems for hours of recording
- Stereo S/PDIF digital input
- Rugged aluminum construction
- Specially Priced Package includes Tascam DR-100MKii as packaged by Tascam, PLUS:
- (1) 16GB SD Card, (1) Table Top Tripod
- (1) 6′ 1/8″ to 1/8″ Stereo Cable, (1) 6′ 1/8″ to RCA Stereo Cable
- Sonic Sense One-Year Extended Warranty Adds One Year to Manufacturer’s Warranty.
My 2 Cents
When creating Hybrid Photography projects, the ability to capture great audio will go a long way towards your success, and TASCAM make some great and affordable portable audio recording devices, including the three featured above. Personally, for video work, I would gravitate towards the DR-40 (which at the time of this posting, is listed at $159 USD on Amazon) as it offers 4 track recording capability plus XLR and 1/4″ mic inputs and is a less expensive alternative to the Zoom H4n (see comparison here).